About two weeks ago, I finally bought a WiFi router after months of deliberating (yeah I’m indecisive like that). I was going to resume blogging and I needed a reliable and constant source of internet connection with student friendly subscription plans. Initially I was confused between SWIFT 4G LTE, SPECTRANET and SMILE 4G LTE, but as soon as I made my enquiries from their various outlets, I decided to go with SMILE.
I purchased my mobile router from their Adeniran Ogunsanya Shopping mall outlet. Their attendants were not the nicest tbh. It was either they were having a bad day or they are just plain nasty. I almost walked out but I just couldn’t think of a closer outlet I could go to. Lol. Anyway, the SMifi (Smile mobile WiFi) cost ₦16000 (with free 5GB valid for 30 days) but I was able to get a 10% student/worker discount by showing them my student ID. I was then registered and my router was ready to use.
Fast forward to today, here are my thoughts on the service from SMILE.
- It is really handy and can be taken almost anywhere. Small enough to fit into your wallet or purse.
- Battery can last more than six hours when fully charged.
- The subscription plans are really affordable. You can buy as low as 500MB for just 1500 naira.
- The network is fantastic. It is really fast.
- It is also simple to use. Almost anybody can learn to use it.
- The network coverage is limited. Being relatively new in Lagos, the Smile network doesn’t cover certain places such as Badagry, Ikorodu etc. So if you live around there, you may need to weigh your options.
- It has a device limit. You cannot connect more than 10 different devices.
If you want a route for your home or office, I think that costs 23000 naira with free 10GB data for the first month.
So that sums up my SMILE experience so far. Have you used SMILE wifi before? What was your own experience like? We would love to hear it. Feel free to share with us in the comments section.