A human hair weave is a beauty investment no doubt. They are quite expensive but can be reused over and again if properly cared for. If you are considering trashing your old human hair weave just because it is tangled or matted, hold that thought! You can transform that ‘dead’ weave into a brand new one and save yourself some cash in a few simple steps.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Plastic bag
- Deep conditioner
- Warm water
- Moisturising shampoo
- Leave-in conditioner
- Wide tooth comb or brush
- Small bucket or bowl
- Use your hand to detangle the weave first to get rid of those silly knots and then follow with a wide tooth comb or brush. Be careful to comb from the ends of the hair towards the weft so you don’t rip out the strands from the weft. Also it’s important to detangle the hair while it’s dry so do not add water yet but if the situation is really bad, you can use a little conditioner to provide a bit of slip up to make detangling easier.
- Roll up the hair in the same way it was bought (ie with all the wefts together) and put in a bucket or bowl of warm water with the weft part facing up.
- Add moisturising shampoo and rub gently into hair. Do NOT wash your hair like a pair of jeans as that will only make it more tangled. Rinse hair and gently squeeze out any excess water.
- Apply your deep conditioner generously and put hair in a plastic bag. Let it sit for 20-30mins or better still, let it sit overnight to achieve maximum conditioning (I personally prefer doing this)
- Rinse hair with lukewarm water and pat dry with a clean towel. Use your leave-in conditioner and hang to air dry. You can use a blow dryer (on low heat) if you must.
- If you want to switch up the look of your hair, you can achieve curls with the use of rollers or get the straight look with a flat iron. Make sure to use a heat protectant first before applying heat to your human hair.
And that’s it. If you have any more tips on reviving old human hair weave, please do share with us in the comments!